The Urban Development Institute – Pacific Region, hosted its biennial ‘Awards for Excellence’ in urban development on Friday, 26 October 2012. At a black tie gala event held in the Hyatt Regency Vancouver, the Institute recognized and celebrated the most outstanding of urban development projects from across B.C.
The 2012 UDI Awards Jury received over 88 project nominations, representing a diversity of product from the B.C development industry. The Institute’s values and principles marked the standards against which all project nominees were measured by an independent expert panel of jurors. These values are reflected by the following judging criteria:
- The principles of environmental sustainability including the optimal densification of urban land surrounding public transit corridors, the integration of innovative green building technologies that can be adopted across industry, and the creation of walkable and liveable communities
- Innovations in concept, design and construction quality
- Integration with the surrounding neighbourhood
- Ability to overcome complex planning, development and construction challenges
- The functionality of use
- The winning project’s marketing and sales success
UDI President and CEO, Ms Anne McMullin said, “For a winning project and its developer to win an award of excellence is the highest form of peer to peer recognition one can receive in the development industry.” Ms McMullin said, “The expert Jury considered all the key facets of the planning and development process in their assessment of each submission’s overall excellence. It was a difficult task identifying the winning projects amongst a field of elite.”
Ms McMullin said, “As the drivers of the B.C. economy, it is important for developers and their projects to be recognized amongst peers in the industry. UDI encourages and celebrates those developers who create sustainable, liveable communities that combined reflect a significant financial investment in this province.”
Ms McMullin added, “I think all of the Award winners and nominees can take great pride in what the development industry has accomplished these past two years.” The contribution from our industry sustains a healthy urban fabric and a strong BC economy. UDI congratulates all of the winners in the 2012 UDI Awards for Excellence.
Congratulations to UDI Capital Region’s member Townline Group of Companies their project “The Hudson” – Winners of “Best of Vancouver Island.” A project well deserved of this award for revitalizing a building of such significance to Victoria.