The City of Victoria has recently completed the Growing Food and Gardening in Mixed-Use, Multi-Unit Residential Developments Guidelines earlier this year. The purpose of these guidelines is to offer resources and examples to support the successful and durable integration of urban gardening and food production in new and existing multi-residential developments. The guide also aims to increase awareness about existing good practices and opportunities to innovate.
Building design and management opportunities covered in this guide include:
- Using common outdoor spaces such as rooftops and courtyards for community gardens and urban farms.
- Incorporating edible landscaping and pollinator gardening into landscaped areas.
- Offering educational activities and resources for home or community gardening.
- Making vacant lots or underutilized spaces available for temporary community gardens or urban farms.
- Integrating place-making and community gathering features complementary to urban gardening and food production.