If you’re looking to join the industry, this is the place to start your search. We post opportunities from our sponsors and members, offering you access to careers across all facets of the real estate development industry. Apply to the listed opportunities, or contact Kathy Whitcher at email@example.com for general employment advice.
Policy Coordinator – Capital Region
Urban Development Institute
With more than 900 corporate members, the Urban Development Institute (UDI) represents thousands of individuals involved in all facets of land development and planning, including developers, planners, architects, financial lenders, lawyers, engineers, property managers, appraisers, brokers, local governments and government agencies.
As the non-partisan voice of the residential, commercial and Industrial development sector in British Columbia, our objective is to be a credible, factual, and effective thought leader. To this end, UDI concentrates its activities on three primary areas: advocacy, education, and as a convener for the development sector.
With offices in Victoria (Capital Region Chapter), Vancouver (Pacific Region Chapter), and Kelowna (Okanagan Chapter), we advocate for data-driven policies that create a consistent, transparent, and efficient regulatory framework to support British Columbia’s growth and prosperity. We’re focused on keeping our members up to date on the latest government policies and industry best practices through our diverse educational programming. Our social and member-only events help build and strengthen connections across the development sector.
More information about UDI Capital Region is available at www.udicapitalregion.ca.
Are you interested in Municipal policy? This job may be for you!!!!
This new position will be key to UDI plan to expand its policy capacity to the fast-growing communities in the Capital Region. Working directly with the Executive Director, this position will be responsible for following emerging municipal policy initiatives related to the development industry and relaying decisions to the Board of Directors and membership. An ideal candidate will have prior knowledge of key municipal initiatives, with the ability to follow and maintain constant changes taking place at municipal councils. The candidate must be willing to work evenings to attend council meetings when necessary.
The development of this role will be done in a two-phased approach –
Phase #1 – The successful candidate will first familiarize and develop a strong understanding of UDI policy positions and initiatives – assisting the Executive Director where needed.
Phase #2 – The Coordinator will then take primary responsibility for a basket of municipal policy initiatives as directed by the Executive Director.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Attend council meetings (day or evening) when development-related initiatives are being discussed
- Ability to follow and understand municipal processes
- Decision Tracker – maintain a log of what decisions are made by a council – what was said by individual councillors – and how they voted
- Attend liaison committee meetings with the Executive Director – recording minutes of the meeting
- Circulate meeting materials to all stakeholders
- Maintain log of all meetings that have taken place and upcoming meetings
- Maintain list of all action items
- Collect policy feedback and assist with letter writing
- Maintain Core Strategy & Policy spreadsheet – keep up to date for board meetings
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- History of working with member-based organizations
- strong writing skills
- Strong project management or organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to build and maintain client relationships.
- Education or experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Urban Land Economics, or other related fields
As a team member at UDI Capital Region, you will enjoy:
- Comprehensive benefits package, including health, vision, and dental insurance
- Paid time off
- Flexible work hours
COMPENSATION & APPLICATION PROCESS
This position offers commensurate compensation and an attractive benefits package.
Please send resume and cover letter to Kathy Whitcher, Executive Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all candidates for their interest in advance. However, due to the number of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.